I found this One Pan Mexican Rice recipe online. Check it out, it’s vegetarian, takes less than 30 minutes to make and my wife loves it!
One Pan Mexican Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion, diced
- 10oz / 250g cherry tomatoes
- 1 can corn kernels (200g)
- 1 can red beans (300g)
- 1 cup / 200g basmati rice
- 2 cups / 400ml water
- 1 cup / 100g shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or sambal
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt and pepper
- As it's a one pan dish, the directions are basically: "mix everything and wait". Let's go a bit more in details as the ingredients need to be added in a certain order.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Cook the garlic and onion for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the cumin and chili and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in cherry tomatoes, corn and red beans. Tip in the rice and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer until rice is cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes. Season to taste.
- Remove the pan from the stove, sprinkle cheese, cover and wait until it melts. Cut the avocado in small cubes. Sprinkle on top of the cheese and serve immediately.